Today we find ourselves bombarded and overwhelmed by the marketing of a huge amount of tools that say they will boost our online businesses, each promising better results than the latter.
Let’s get down to brass tacks. What are we really trying to achieve here and how are we planning to get there?
What do we need?:
- We need to know our customers.
- We need to get to know our customers by making use of the data we have about them in order to understand their purchasing behaviour as well as how we can further improve our value offerings and the products proposed to them.
- We need to market to the correct people.
- We need to find out which channels customers are from and what content attracts them. This will allow us to replicate this process in a more efficient manner, thus producing more relevant content for our target audience and realizing better engagement rates and effectively turn that into more sales.
- We need to keep things simple and keep our costs as low as possible.
- We need to keep our cost down in order to improve our bottom line, hence increasing our profits in order to reinvest into and grow our business.
What do we use?:
Fantastic we know what we need now how will we do it. It just so happens that the biggest online search engine in the world provides us with Free tools to do just what we need.
- Google Analytics https://analytics.google.com
- Google Analytics is a free tool that gathers thousands of metrics based on anonymized non sensitive user behavior.
- This tool tells us things about our customers such as which regions they are from, which channels they used to find us and which content they found most interesting. Also it will show us where they left and after how much time.
- Google Search Console https://search.google.com/
- Google Search Console shows us exactly which keywords our website ranks for, what positions we hold and what the search volume for each might be.
- In combination with Google Analytics we can use the Google Ads Free Keyword Planner https://ads.google.com to search for relevant keywords to improve our content.
- You will need to set up a Google Ads account by following the step by step instructions, but you don’t need to spend any money on ads to use the tool.
Now the proof is in the pudding and the pudding takes time to make. With each ingredient we add, we will see increased results over time and that part is guaranteed.
All the while we have not spent a cent on an expensive tool that might or might not work.